Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Book Review: The Bondage Breaker by Neil T. Anderson

The Bondage Breaker by Neil T. Anderson

What brought me to this book?
This was another recommended book from a Wellness Conference I went to. What drew me to it was my wanting to overcome negative thoughts and irrational feelings. Realizing that you have negative thoughts and irrational feelings is a great first step, but it doesn't mean you can just stop having those thoughts or feelings. I mean I have 30+ years of practice. Unfortunately, those are hard habits to break free from.

What did I think of the book (in a nutshell)?
This book definitely wasn't what I expected. One of his main focuses is how Satan (and demons) works in the world today. The topic came out of left field for me so I was a bit on guard, but I trusted the source of the book recommendation so kept reading. While I think he focuses on some possibly extreme cases a bit too much, it was actually an interesting topic to think through. I certainly don't know exactly how Satan works today, but I think, because of this book, it will be something that I continue to ponder and contemplate. In the past I've just avoided thinking about it because it kind of freaks me out. But that doesn't mean spiritual warfare isn't real. And if it is real, I should learn about it, rather than just pretend it doesn't exist.

The other focus of the book is our identity in Christ. (I've started to see this theme a lot lately in the books I've been reading and sermons I've been listening to....I wonder if the Holy Spirit is trying to tell me something?! Ha!). In order to overcome the lies we've believed and deceptions that have taken our focus off of Christ in us, we have to put on the amour of God and live into that identity.

The Steps to Freedom in Christ at the end of the book reminded me of the 12 Steps that I did in my Spiritual Journey class (though they aren't exactly the same). They include things like forgiving others and making amends for the wrongs you've done. These are great practices and he walks you through them pretty well. There were a few things in here that I wasn't sure about though, like the implication that sarcasm is a sin that we need to confess and repent of.

Final verdict
I would lightly recommend this book, with caution. I think some people will bristle at the topic of Satan working in lives today, but I would challenge them to have an open mind and think through why they resist the conversation. The overall message of the book is a great subject and I believe that truly going through the steps at the end of the book will help strengthen your relationship with Christ. Unfortunately, what's practiced in the steps isn't something that you do once and you're good to go for the rest of your life (boy do I wish). They are things we should continue to practice on an ongoing basis (such as forgiveness and confession).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson JustMercy , by Bryan Stevenson, is the story of Walter McMillian, who was sentenced to die for a murder he d...